You may have written a brilliant piece of content that is relevant to user intent but it still may not rank highly on Google. This is because effective writing is not the only criteria for ranking highly on Google. You have to build authority and relevance of your content for Google. The most important way to do that is to have relevant and high-quality links to your content. Link building is the process of trying to acquire links from other websites to your own website. By using high-quality digital marketing services, you can achieve this goal. Before further explaining why links are important, let’s first talk about the different types of links?
Types of Links
There are two major types of links:
- Backlinks: also known as inbound or external links are those links which point from one website to another.
- Internal links: are links to pages on the same website. They connect internal pages of the same domain.
Now that we know about the types of links, we shall see why links are important and how they can help you get higher rankings on Google.
Why is Link Building Important?
Links are essential as they help search engines to discover new webpages. More importantly, links help build the authority of a website. If a high-quality website links to your website, then it means that they find your content relevant and of high quality. It is a sort of vote of confidence for your website from the other person. In this way, Google establishes the authority of your website.
Links have been one of the most critical ranking factors for Google. Larry Page, one of Google’s founders invented PageRank which used to establish the authority of a webpage based on the number of links pointing to it. However, later on, SEO experts started to manipulate PageRank to get better rankings. To overcome this problem, Google introduced updates which aimed at filtering out websites that didn’t deserve to get ranked. However, despite all the updates, even today in 2019, links remain a crucial component of Google’s ranking algorithm.
Strategies for Effective Link Building
Now that we know about the importance of effective link building, let’s talk about various methods of doing link building. Some of the ways in which you can get links are:
- Strong content: Try to make your content so thorough and relevant to user intent that whenever someone writes about a specific query, they have to link to your content as it is so well explained.
- Promotion and reviews: Approaching people with numerous followers on social media can be a good approach. Putting your product in front of such influencers and popular bloggers mean that you reach a wider audience.
- Internal linking: Even though backlinks are important, internal linking to other stuff on your own site can also be useful. However, be cautious and do not try to force internal links. They should come naturally and only where required.
To conclude, it can be said that probably the second most important factor- with high-quality content still being at first- in Google’s ranking algorithm is links. Links not only establish your authority in front of Google but also help you get more traffic to your website. If you feel that on your own you are not able to achieve effective link building, then do not hesitate to seek help. Do not be reluctant in contacting a reliable software development company out there in the market that can help your cause.