Painting the interior of a house can transform it from ordinary to inspiring! Coating the walls, doors and windows in a new paint enhance its visual appeal. It can also increase the value of the property and help a home sell faster. Most of us know the process of applying paint, but painting a house requires serious planning. Plus, there are many decisions to be made like:
- How to find the right paint contractor?
- Which brand of paint should I choose?
- How much will it cost to have my house painted?
- What is the right mural painting process?
- What to expect when painting my house?
If you are also worried about such questions and want to paint the interior of a house yourself, follow the tips we have discussed to make your next interior painting job faster and smoother with a more attractive appearance.
Start prepping your walls by removing everything possible, including outlet covers, protect the furniture, flooring, all HVAC registers, etc.
- Carefully inspect the walls for cracks, holes, bumps, or other imperfections.
- Use caulk or a light scraping compound and a putty knife to fill and repair holes or imperfections.
- Remove the excess scraping with the putty knife.
- After completely drying, use a sand sponge to smooth the repaired areas.
- Wipe the walls with a damp cloth or sponge and wait until it gets dry.
Choose the paint color and appropriate tools and materials
Once you are done with prepping work, determine the paint color you want: Do you want a warm or cold shade? A neutral or dark tone for your room? Also, keep in mind about the existing furniture or artwork, that how the shade will compliment them. Once you have an idea of what you are looking for, select the appropriate tools and materials to paint:
- Paint roller
- Drop cloths
- Paintbrushes and trays
- Painter’s tape
- Putty knife
Priming the walls is an essential step in the preparation process. After you have done with filling the holes and cracks on the wall, use the primer as it seals the walls by providing you with a base for the paint and prevents flashing or a bright spot on the wall.
- Begin painting the primer with roller from top to bottom, rolling backward and forward across the wall in 3 x 3-foot sections until all the section is covered.
- Roll in one section at a time, moving up and down and from one side of the wall to the other.
- Repeat the above step to paint the next section, and cover the leftover areas while the primer is still wet.
Use your painting techniques
Plan a strategy before you start painting your house and start painting with roller from top to bottom in V or W shaped. If you want the best results, begin painting the adjacent walls one at a time with light in color. This will make it easier to spread the paint on the walls. If you want to cover dark walls with a brighter shade, make sure you plan three coats: primer and two coats of the new color. Also, before applying for a second coat, wait for 2-4 hours.
Don’t forget about ventilation
Make sure your house is well ventilated throughout the project. Also, keep the room warm and blowing a fan or opening windows can help in speeding up the drying process. If it’s a wet day, it will take much longer for the paint to dry, and the smell of paint can make your whole day worst. So, don’t forget about the proper ventilation after paint.
Once you are done with painting, tightly seals the additional paint boxes/cans. Also, remove the painter’s tape after the paint dries entirely if you use any. Plus, thoroughly clean your brushes and rollers with warm, soapy water.
**Things to keep in mind while painting the interior of a house**
There are some crucial tips or points to keep in mind when painting the interior of the home:
- Take care of your valuables like fragile products (crockery, glass furniture and more)
- Make sure you cover your furniture to avoid any paint droplet or strains
- Supervise the work and keep an eye on the material they use for painting if you hire any professionals
- Thoroughly clean your brushes immediately after use
- Make sure you paint your kitchen first and prefer painting room-by-room
- Hire reliable painters in New Farm service provider
The bottom Line
Painting your home’s interior is one of those maintenance projects that most homeowners undertake at some point. Whether you’re planning to paint your bedroom, choosing a bathroom paint color, or repainting multiple rooms, follow the tips mentioned above and interior painting ideas to get the work done smoothly!